2021. The Year in Review

On this the last day of the year, it seems fitting to take a literal look back at some ordinary days of 2021 with twelve photos and a few memories.

We welcomed the start of the year with a mild January.

We went outside and took the dogs for walks on balmy afternoons.

We did jigsaw puzzles.

I played with watercolour paint.

Smitten by pre-spring fever, in February we visited the garden to see if the garlic we planted the previous fall had sprouted yet. It hadn’t, but it wouldn’t be long.

We did more jigsaw puzzles.

And played with the pups.

I bought a bunch of pink tulips for the dining table.

The mild weather continued in March and we enjoyed the first ice cream cones of the year.

I learned that if I put an empty heart-shaped box of Lindor truffles in my husband’s underwear drawer, it reappears on my dresser filled with chocolates.

Gerry was on the evening news talking about tick season.

I painted.

Laurinda and Makiya came for spring break.

In April, the gardening season got off to a slow start. I wasn’t feeling it.

I started tomato seeds.

We celebrated Easter.

It was warm enough to leave the front door open and let the sun shine in.

On a couple of occasions, we sat in the sunshine in the backyard with the dogs.

In May, Gerry bought a bike!

Maya had surgery to have some skin growths removed from her back.

I planted flowers.

I took my MacBook outside to write.

I harvested the first radish from the garden.

In June, I harvested the biggest radish I’ve ever grown and it wasn’t woody at all.

It was far, far too hot.

We ate salad with ingredients from the garden.

On the rare day when it wasn’t too warm, I sat outside for a short time to read.

I froze blueberries.

I cooked an egg in a frying pan in the backyard just to see if I could because it was so hot.

In July, we were awaked by our neighbour hammering on our door to let us know that lightning had ignited a fire just below us.

We prayed for rain.

We stayed indoors because it was too smoky outside.

I made raspberry jam with Laurinda and Makiya.

We had roll kuchen.

We went to the beach.

Gerry, Laurinda, Makiya and I went bowling.

Ash covered everything in August and it was too smoky to spend much time outside without feeling ill.

Gerry went fishing.

We harvested and harvested and harvested.

It was still too smoky to spend much time outside.

I went to Prince George to take in Makiya’s theatre performance.

Makiya moved in with us.

We finally got rain and the skies cleared in September giving us a few days to enjoy the deck that had sat empty for most of the summer.

Back to school!

We harvested tomatoes and more.

I took Makiya to Prince George for her last appointment with the orthodontist there.

We moved Laurinda down in October and our little household grew by two and a cat.

I replaced flowers on the back deck with pots of fall mums.

Gerry and Makiya painted her bedroom.

We four went to the salmon run at Adams River.

I chopped and froze a mountain of garlic.

Makiya and Gerry carved a jack-o-lantern.

Gerry celebrated a birthday in November and we took advantage of the occasion to enjoy a Tuxedo cake.

A truck backed into me when I was waiting for Makiya at the dentist’s office.

Gerry and I went out for a drive and to take photographs.

Laurinda and I played game after game of Bananagrams.

In December, it snowed.

Gerry and I caught a few hours of alone time.

Makiya did snow-shoveling duty.

Laurinda slipped on the ice and broke her arm.

It was cold. Very, very cold.

Our son popped in for a surprise visit.



And, that’s a wrap for this upside-down inside-out topsy-turvey year. Happy New Year, friends. See you in 2022!


I’m a writer, reader, and creative. I thought by now I’d have things figured out, but I keep coming up with more questions. I think that’s okay. I’m here most mornings pondering ordinary things and the thin places where faith intersects.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.