A few years ago there was a phrase bandied about that asked “what keeps you up at night?” It was a way of asking what you were passionate about, what consumed your thoughts, what problems you wanted to solve.
I’ve been thinking about that phrase in the wee hours of the morning lately as I lay in bed listening to my husband and my dogs sleep. (It’s true, you can hear someone sleep.) Here are just a few things that are keeping me up at night lately.
• Would it be possible for me to live without central air conditioning if we move to the little house on the prairie that we are looking at? (This is a big one right now.)
• Who released a song called “Things That Make You Go Hmmm?” and why am I thinking about it?
• Why do I talk in my sleep so often?
• Why do I occasionally wake myself up by screaming?
• Why am I having hot flashes so often? Oh yes, because I decided to stop the medication that was keeping them at bay. Can you say high-deductible healthcare plan?
• How can I embrace the slow food movement when I don’t have enough hours in the day to accomplish everything I want to already?
• Where is that farm that sells the organic chickens and produce that I read about last weekend?
• Should I just get up and do something?
So tell me, what keeps you up and night? And while you’re thinking about the answer to that question, do you have answers to any of mine?