A few years ago there was a phrase bandied about that asked “what keeps you up at night?” It was a way of asking what you were passionate about, what consumed your thoughts, what problems you wanted to solve.
I’ve been thinking about that phrase in the wee hours of the morning lately as I lay in bed listening to my husband and my dogs sleep. (It’s true, you can hear someone sleep.) Here are just a few things that are keeping me up at night lately.
• Would it be possible for me to live without central air conditioning if we move to the little house on the prairie that we are looking at? (This is a big one right now.)
• Who released a song called “Things That Make You Go Hmmm?” and why am I thinking about it?
• Why do I talk in my sleep so often?
• Why do I occasionally wake myself up by screaming?
• Why am I having hot flashes so often? Oh yes, because I decided to stop the medication that was keeping them at bay. Can you say high-deductible healthcare plan?
• How can I embrace the slow food movement when I don’t have enough hours in the day to accomplish everything I want to already?
• Where is that farm that sells the organic chickens and produce that I read about last weekend?
• Should I just get up and do something?
So tell me, what keeps you up and night? And while you’re thinking about the answer to that question, do you have answers to any of mine?
I usually sleep good at night…it is about 4:30 am when my mind starts to wonder…did I do this? when is this due? who do I need to call today? why am I awake a hour and a half before the alarm? crazy….
Probably everything and anything keeps me awake at night!! I have a mind that whirls continually in countless directions!
I keep a notebook next to my bed because I know as soon as begin to nod off…bang!…another list, idea, etc.
I'm also a vivid, lucid dreamer who has a history of nightmares…ugh! I wonder if most creative people are the same.
I could never sleep well without my HRT or my Ambien. Thank God I have a great health plan to pay for it!
Praying you find your answers and a good night's sleep.
You are so like me! I didn't fall asleep until late last night and listend to my husband sleep. I also have nightmare where I wake up screaming!
Are you really looking at a house? cool!!
I often find myself awake until the wee hours of the morning(sometimes even long enough for the dh's alarm to go off)because my mind won't stop going off in a million different directions. What do I think about….Are all the doors locked…Why can't I sleep yet…Wow, this book is really good and I don't want to sleep till I finish this chapter…both the dogs have taken over my side of the bed, where would I sleep even if I could…etc..
Work, my path (which seems to be wandering aimlessly right now), my neighbors dogs, and everything in between. I'm with you on the sleeplessness. I wake up and can't go back to sleep for hours. I don't do HRT, but that's probably the main problem–hormones. Anyway, enjoyed your post. It's my first time by and I'll be back!
What keeps me up: two year-old tomcats marching on me; my characters talking; anything I was writing just before I went to bed.
The answer to number one would depend on where your prairie is. If it's in Canada, no problem. Texas? Fugeddaboudit!
I always wondered what people thought about at 3AM. I confess what's on your list isn't what's on mine, but as fasinating.
Have a good trip.
Hi Linda! Hill Country Hippie mentioned you on her blog so I popped in for a visit. I've added your blog to my "Daily Blog Read" folder now!
Re: Hot Flashes
I credit my 3 capsules a day of Flaxseed Oil (which I was taking for psoriasis) for helping me breeze through menopause with minimal flashing. My sister gave this advice to a friend of hers recently and the friend is convinced that sis should be beatified. LOL